Sunday, March 1, 2015

Vegan:1, Amber: 0 [Amber Week Two]

Week two was hella rough for me. 

I had my first breakdown the day I tried to find somewhere to go for date night. I live in Scranton, a "city", but a "city" that closes after business hours. There is one vegan restaurant downtown, but they close at 6 on Thursday nights. And since I don't actually live downtown, it can take you half an hour down main street to get from your house to the other side of town. I was advised to give chinese a shot but when I call the chinese spot near my house asking for their tofu options, I was given "tofu with veggies", "tofu with bean curd", and "chicken with bean curd" as my options. Obviously they were a safe vegan establishment (**insert side eye here**). So after googling "vegan chain options" and reading about salsa with tortillas, rice and dry salad, I was less than amused to spend $15 on something I could have at home on my couch. 

That left me with the newly opened Chipotle and Red Robin as my choices. Super (full on sarcasm with those options). I love Chipotle. Everyone who knows me knows I live for Chipotle. But when you've made DIY Chipotle bowls at home for the past few weeks, americanized mexican takeout bowls quickly makes its way to the bottom of your cravings list. So Red Robin it was! It wasn't a bad dinner date as I really enjoy veggie burgers (and could suck back those strawberry lemonades till kingdom come) but the anxiety of finding a place completely ruined what should be an easy and relaxing night. 

And then came the weekend. I helped my friend Jess move to Brooklyn Saturday and as soon as her parents mentioned "deli" as a lunch option, the panic set in. Jess was up to speed on my vegan challenge so she was completely supportive of me asking the guy in the deli shop if the eggplant was "breaded in egg"; obviously everyone in that situation knew the answer before it left my mouth but whatever. Luckily they had grilled eggplant (and my new favorite potato chips thanks to Jess's recommendation) so I actually had a pretty satisfying lunch I'd actually like to attempt at home, but its the anxiety. Of not knowing if somewhere is going to have an option. Or to sound like "that person" with the crazy food specifications. I just don't like to be trouble when eating out. Chalk it up to a fear of spit in my food.

So week two, you won. I don't mind being vegan when I can control the food that I'm eating. But when its time to actually socialize with people outside of my living room or the lunchroom at work, its just not enjoyable. I'm hoping the overall effects I feel from being vegan will outweigh the anxiety. 



 1. Vegan Banana Apple Chunk Bread : This bread was super easy to make and lasted me the better part of the week for breakfast. I couldn't find the bread pan I swear I own so it took forever to bake but still turned out in the end. 

2. Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Pasta : I would recommend this, but its not as creamy as i was hoping it would be. Also, don't let this be the time you try and make your meal more healthful by using whole wheat pasta. Just don't do it. 

2. Stuffed Mushrooms with Farro, Sweet Potato & Kale : They were colorful but lacked a cohesive flavor. And the mushrooms didn't cook well enough or meld enough with the filling. A disappointment in my book.

4. Sage and Apple "Sausage" with Mashed Sweet Potatoes : Got the recipe from Angie's husband. The sweet potatoes were mashed with brown sugar, cinnamon and Earth Balance butter. Super good and filling!

5. Veggie Sandwich: Hummus, dijon mustard and lemon pepper with sprouts, spinach, tomato, cucumber and red onion. I used to make this sandwich when I worked at a coffee shop back in college. Its my go-to sandwich, vegan or not and I'd highly recommend. 



No comments:

Post a Comment