Monday, March 2, 2015

The Lazy Vegan {Week 3 and 4- Angela}


                                   The fear of hunger struck me hard during the third week. 
               After bridesmaid dress shopping with one my besties, plans for lunch got switched.
 I immediately panicked.
"What do I eat?!" was the first thing that ran through my head.
 I quickly googled "vegan fast food" knowing that I had to move quickly. 
Quickly before hanger* arrived; Before confusion took over.
Options came up and my head immediately started spinning.
I kept rotating options in my head as I drove around an area that was unfamiliar to me. 
When I saw as Subway I quickly pulled in knowing it may be my only option.  
I ran in like a savage and realized no one else knew my struggle.
People were straight judging. 
Anyway...I ate.  Don't worry, peeps.  I may look like I don't have things under control at times, but I do. 
I do.
These past two weeks consisted of many sandwiches for lunch as I had talked about in this post.
And my favorite Roasted Broccoli & Apple Salad talked about here.
Here are some other gems that I had the pleasure of making and/or eating during Vegan Month.  
You'll see I went out to eat quite a few times...




 

Vegans can eat out too...

 

Homemade:
 1. BBQ Jackfruit Tacos with Guacamole- Trust me when I say I went on a HUNT for Jackfruit.  I looked high and low for this stuff.  The local health food stores did not have it.  I called around and finally found it at an Asian market.  This was interesting to cook with.  I was not the BIGGEST fan, but it was good.
2. Steel Cut Oats- I added coconut, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, agave, banana and craisins to this bad boy.  It was so good. So good. I felt like a champion starting the day with this! 
3. Buffalo Cauliflower Calzones with Ranch Dressing- Oh my goodie goodie gumdrops.  This recipe.  I mean...I felt like I should open a pizzeria after making this.  That's how good this was.  And lets talk for a second about how I made some awesome dough.  Just saying...
4. Apple Sausage with Zucchini Pasta- This was a "lets clean out the fridge meal." You know those?  When stuff is going to go bad and you need to make it work so you don't throw out a bunch of food...that was this.  It was actually really yummy!
5. BBQ Cauliflower Salad with Zesty Ranch Dressing- So disappointing.  I made homemade vegan onion rings, which were pretty good, but the recipe overall was just 'eh.'  And it took SO MUCH WORK.
6. Tempeh Bacon Mac 'N' Cheese with Pecan Parmesan- Yes, please.  I mean mac and cheese with bacon for a vegan?  I say yes.  Every time you ask me.  This also went a far way and made its way into my lunch box a few times!
7. Veggie Sub- Hubby made me this.  The bread was on point.  The sub had a little bit of everything in it, I believe.  Broccoli, vegan cheese, onion, avocado, banana peppers, carrots, hummus and mustard.  It sounds strange...but I swear it was so good!
8. Vegan Butternut Squash Soup with Chickpea Croutons- The link provided inspired this soup.  I used butternut squash soup and this recipe came out fantastic.  I also couldn't find Za'atar in my grocery store so I just used a bunch of other spices.  I love me some soup.  Especially butternut squash soup.  This was a total win.  And chickpea croutons?  Count.me.in.

Eatin' Out:
1. Kaya's Kitchen- This is an adorable Vegetarian/ Vegan restaurant located in Belmar, NJ.  Their food is on point.  I got "chicken" nuggets and pizza with soy cheese and onions.  Oh.my.gosh.  Everything was fantastic.  Like my dad wouldn't even know there was no meat or dairy involved in this lunch.
2. The Loving Hut- This is a Vegan chain restaurant located in Matawan, NJ.  I swear you would NEVER know the fish and chips was not actual fish. It was kind of eerie actually.  Maybe joke was on me ;)  Also the Philly Cheese steak was great.  I ate so many fries. Oh man.  I felt sick after this food.  Fried and filling.  A little too much and I went HAM.
3. Earth Pizza- This is a little pizza place in Red Bank, NJ that offers both soy and Daiya cheese.  You could definitely tell the cheese was not dairy, but I enjoyed being able to go out to eat and not feel like the odd man out having to order a dry salad without cheese.

After 4 weeks of Vegan I can officially say: I DID IT!
It is with much enthusiasm and excitement I say this.
I'm alive. I'm not emaciated. I'm not deprived.
I had doubt, y'all.  A lot of doubt. 

I am going to go pat myself on the back now and reflect on what I've learned... stay tuned.

Angela

*hanger- anger resulting from hunger



No comments:

Post a Comment