Thursday, March 5, 2015

Reflect- Vegan Month. {Angela}

Now that "Vegan Month" has been completed I'd like to share with ya'll some things I have learned; how this process had changed me. What I think I may continue to implement into my life moving forward...
I'll start by saying, if you want to do try being vegan I would do some research beforehand and set 'ground' rules for yourself, so-to-speak. I'd make a pinterest board and stock up on some commonly used ingredients.

What I used most:
- almond milk
- cashews
-nutritional yeast
- cauliflower

Prior to this process I did not even know what nutritional yeast was.  I also wasn't familiar with liquid smoke or liquid aminos. All of which I used numerous times.

What I enjoyed most:
- Cooking.  Cooking is one of my favorite things to do, however time poverty and laziness usually inhibits me from partaking in this activity.  I truly enjoyed that this process FORCED me to cook. My aprons have never felt so loved.
- Trying new food.  I truly branched out of my comfort zone and learned a bunch of new things.
-Regular bowel movements...sorry it's true.  I'd be lying if I didn't put this one in there.  #sorrynotsorry

What I struggled with:
- An inability to conform to social norms
-Going out to eat
-Saying "no" to food
- When plans changed (surrounding food) having to adapt quickly
- The need to be truly prepared each and every day

Surprisingly, I did not feel unsatisfied at all during this process.  I learned the importance of food preparation. I learned how much JUNK I put into my body without realizing it. When donuts and other sweets were shoved in my face I'd normally openly accept the food as I savored every bite (ha you know that's not true.  I'd totally just devour it). BUT I couldn't do this and had to say "no" to these goodies.  This led me to the realization of how often I eat unnecessary additional food.

I did not notice any increased energy and my skin did not start to glow even though I read numerous places that this was a benefit of eating a vegan diet. Although I did not want to try vegan to lose weight, I found that it did have that added benefit.  I lost two pounds. I took measurements prior to this and I DID lose around my core.
And trust me, peeps, this was NOT due to working out.
Was it the food I ate?  Not sure...it may be more of the food I DIDN'T eat (like all those donuts I had to resist.)

I also HIGHLY recommend buying the book "But I could never go Vegan". The recipes I got from this book were overall fantastic.  I also learned a WHOLE bunch of new cooking techniques.

I think I will continue to cook vegan sporadically.  I now have a slightly different outlook on food. I know that I appreciate the ease of using animal products, but I have learned it is NOT necessary.

I really enjoyed this process and I hope you've enjoyed hearing about my journey!

I'm going to go and listen to some positive music that reflects how much ass I have kicked during the past month. Woot Woot!!!

Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment