Sunday, February 15, 2015

It all became real {week one- Angela}

...and then it happened.  
I had fear.  I had a lot of fear. 
A continuous thought kept running through my mind...
"what if I get hungry?!"
If there is anything you need to know about me it is that hunger and I do not mix well. 
Oil and water status.
snippy;angry;irritable;sad;annoyed;unfocused.
Those are some adjectives that could be used to describe me during those moments.
And we all know I can't grab a snickers.
So I knew that I had to have a lot of food. Peeps I don't play.
Research and meal planning has been my savior with this process.
If not I would solely eat chips, salads and oreos.
Something I've considered, but not the intention of this process.

Anyway, I really got my chef on with this first week of veganism. Chef Ang status for real.
My recipe inspirations came from endless hours of pinning in addition to a
cookbook I now refer to as a dear friend of mine.
 It's called "But I Could Never Go Vegan." The title really spoke to me.   This book will be referenced quite a bit in my vegan posts. No diggity, no doubt.
Thus far I have had limited difficulties with eating vegan.
  It is actually much easier than I anticipated. Say whatttt?!
To give my chef self a break, I went out to eat at a Vegan restaurant in Asbury Park
called Twisted Tree Cafe. Aprons need breaks too, you know?

So, the moment you've all been waiting for: here are some highlights from my first week:


1. Roasted Red Pepper Pasta . This recipe revealed my love for Nutritional Yeast. Wowza.  #vegancheeseflavor
2. Peanut Butter and Banana Overnight Oats. Creamy peanut buttery goodness. Very rich. Very filling.  Overall I thought this was good, but not spectacular. 
3. Lunch at Twisted Tree Cafe. Featured here is both a Soy Chicken Salad Sandwich and a Focaccia Melt. Both were off the hook. Off the chain.  Like how is there no meat or animal products in this yummy yummy goodness? THEN there was carrot cake. Holy moly.  Thank you vegan heavens because I visited you today. It's a beautiful place.  I recommend anyone taking a trip there to check it outttt! 
4. Falafel Tacos with Sriracha- Tahini Sauce.  This was from my beautiful cookbook that I referenced above. This recipe allowed me to stay in my comfort zone and eat familiar food.  Falafels for the win. 
5. Banana Split Rolls. Something went wrong... very wrong with this recipe.  I never thought a recipe could go wrong with chocolate, but trust me people it can.  This was just nasty.  Not good. The dough was similar to chalk.  Yes, chalk. If that's your thing then try this and do exactly what I did to make this happen. 
6. Roasted Corn & Tofu Chevre Quesedillas with Avocado Crema. This was one of the best things I've ever eaten.  I have learned so many cooking techniques from this cookbook. I made tofu chevre cheese...what?  Like fireworks flew after this entered my mouth. Like the fourth of July in my mouth.   And avocado Crema.  Just stop. Stop it right now. 

Not pictured: Apple Almond Energy Balls. Delish. Make these. Thank me later. 

After a week I'm still alive, well nourished and ready to see what the rest of the month holds! 

Thanks for loving me even though I can't eat fondue or ice cream with you. 

Angela 


No comments:

Post a Comment